The Heather Queen of the Illinois Saint Andrew Society/CHICAGO SCOTS is a female between the ages of 15 years old by September 1, 2022 and 22 years old, who is Scottish by birth, has Scottish heritage and/or is actively involved in the Scottish community. During her reign, the Heather Queen serves as a goodwill ambassador of the Illinois Saint Andrew Society/CHICAGO SCOTS by encouraging her peers to explore their Scottish or other cultural identity while promoting Scottish culture in Chicagoland.
- Candidate must be a female between the ages of 15 years old by September 1, 2022 and 22 years old
- Candidate must be Scottish by birth, have Scottish heritage, and/or be actively involved in the Scottish community. Either the applicant or her parents must be members of the Illinois Saint Andrew Society.
- Candidate should have good communication skills and be a leader in her community
- Candidate must submit a professional, 5 x 7 color, studio quality portrait
- If scheduled, all nominees are required to attend a Media Preview on Friday early morning (subject to change) or other publicity events as necessary
PHASE I – PLATFORM/PHOTO REVIEW
The Heather Queen Judges will review all completed applications using the following criteria:
- Platform Essay – counts towards 20% of score
- Photo-counts toward 10% of score
PHASE II – FESTIVAL REVIEW
All candidates will be expected to be present at the Friday night Ceilidh, June 17th, on the main entertainment stage. Each candidate will have three to five minutes at the microphone to introduce herself and present her platform goals and initiatives. This will provide an opportunity for the judges to see how the candidates perform based on the following criteria:
- Appearance-counts towards 10% of score
- Poise-counts towards 10% of score
- Self Confidence – counts towards 10% of score
- Communication Skills – counts towards 10% of score
- Platform Discussion – counts toward 20% of score
- Public Presentation – counts towards 10% of score
The final decision and crowning of the Heather Queen and her Court will be made and announced during the Friday night Ceilidh, June 17th. At that point, the Heather Queen and her Court will be provided with appropriate regalia and sashes to reign over the Festival.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Heather Queen and her Court must participate in the Opening Ceremonies and Massed Bands at the Highland Games on Saturday June 18th. At the Festival they will be called upon for additional duties (on rotational basis) such as award presentations, raffle drawings, etc.
- As goodwill ambassador of CHICAGO SCOTS, the Heather Queen and her Court must be mindful of the stature of the organization in the community and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner at all times. Candidates are asked to wear weather appropriate attire.
- The Heather Queen MUST BE available to attending CHICAGO SCOTS events such as:
- Scottish Home Picnic (August 2022)
- Kilted Classic (September/October 2022)
- Feast of the Haggis (November 2022)
- Holiday Party (December 2022)
- Robert Burns Supper (February 2023)
- Scottish Festival & Highland Games (June 2023)
Note: Attendance at events is a requirement of the position as an ambassador for the organization. By applying, you agree to the terms should you be chosen. Please reconsider application if you do not feel like you can make these commitments.
- Heather Queen will be asked to summarize the accomplishments of her reign, before crowing the new Heather Queen. Please maintain the sash and crown during reign as Heather Queen so it can be passed along in good condition
- The Heather Queen will receive a $250.00 stipend to be used toward wardrobe allowance and travel expenses along with one complimentary admission to all Society events for a guest to join you. The Heather Queen will receive 3 Patron weekend passes to attend and enjoy the festival.
In addition to filling out the application below, you are required to submit a platform essay answering the following questions in a typed, double-spaced, 12pt. format, not to exceed 3 pages.
- Why is your identity as a Scot important to you?
- What have you done recently to nourish your Scottish identity?
- How could you encourage your peers to explore their Scottish identity?
- As goodwill ambassador of the Society, how would you help to promote the Scottish community in Chicagoland during your reign as Heather Queen?
- Why do you feel you would make a good candidate to represent the Illinois Saint Andrew Society/CHICAGO SCOTS as Heather Queen?